Ensuring that we are following all of the key steps for reviewing an email is important for making sure that nothing gets missed and emails are always polished before going to a client for review.
Step 1 of the process
Ask the person accountable for this deliverable for some context for the email
- Is it a newsletter, broadcast or nurture
- Has there been a brief or have we created it from scratch
- Is it part of a wider campaign? If yes, what is that called and are there assets that are key, which you should be aware of?
Step 2 of the process
If there is a brief, make sure you have this open and refer to it before, during and after the review to ensure everything is included correctly.
Step 3 of the process
Check the body of the email and make any suggestions:
- Do the sentences read well
- Are there any typos?
- If a plain email, is there a signature - if not, is there a reason why?
- Check the plain text is correct and has not been retained from the cloned email
- Check the links work and are going to the correct place.
- If a branded email, are the links coloured appropriately?
- Are the images linked correctly? (as appropriate)
- If personalisation tokens are being used, are they the correct fields and have defaults been added? (can be seen in the review tab)
Step 4 of the process
- Check if it is a smart email and if it is, repeat step 3 for each variation and ensure the rules make sense.
Step 5 of the process
- Make sure that the preview text reflects the email well
- Make sure that the subject line has no typos, is relevant to the email
Step 6 of the process
Go to the settings tab
- Ensure that the internal name follows portal naming conventions (look at the list of existing emails if unsure)
- Make sure there is a relevant subscription type and that the campaign has been assigned
- Make sure that there is a ‘view online’ version of the page by looking at the advanced settings and that it has an accurate URL and meta description.
Step 7 of the process
Go to the recipients tab (if not an automated email)
- Check that a recipient has been added and ask the person responsible for the deliverable if there needs to be any exclusions. If recipient is not yet defined, remove any which are there as a result of the email being cloned.
Step 8 of the process
- Preview the email using the HubSpot tool to check it looks good on mobile, tablet and desktop.
- Use the inbox preview tool to check that the email works on the most used email tools (outlook, google, iphone and android).
- Send a test email to the person who is accountable for this deliverable as a final check.